A few years ago I saw a picture online. It was a Bass guitar neck stuck on a vintage Star Wars Millenium Falcon playset. I looked at it, and saw the challenge posted below the image- daring someone to build a functional version. I decided to do it.
After gathering the parts it took a few weekends to put everything together. As this was one of the first major guitar projects I had done in a while, my wife became acquainted with "the mad scientist." The guitar was built with a low budget just to see if something reasonably playable could be made. I opted for a single coil-sized humbucker for best sound quality and the least "damage" to the Falcon itself. I even installed super bright LEDs in the hyperdrive (and on the front mandibles) to really capture the Falcon's essence, and gave it a movie-accurate paint job.
The peghead of the guitar featured a "light speed" paint motif with a Micro Machines Millenium Falcon serving as the truss rod cover.
It has been a few years, and I'm suddenly realizing I didn't actually put the guitar in my guitar blog. After Cole Stryker posted the original photos on http://www.Urlesque.com things really took off... unexpectedly too. I was interviewed on live TV in California...
...and I've seen a number of awesome Falcon guitars that followed. I remember- there was one guy criticizing mine because it had 1 pickup. He had more than one, so he claimed it was clearly superior; his guitar also had Falcon parts like the radar dish glued on where they didn't belong, no paint job, no lights... functional, but no style. After that I've seen a many that are incredible, with much higher quality parts and attention to detail- and the end result is that much better. I'll probably do another sometime, and try to figure out how to up the ante. I still think my movie-accurate paint job holds up to the competition, at the very least!
From that point, I've built more guitars and gotten more exposure- not always quite as dramatic, but still fun. I hope to keep building, and hopefully to get more commissions. Here are the original pictures, and the original (AND TERRIBLE) video I made for Urlesque.